Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Big Green Purse - Chapter 6 (food) and Chapter 7 (cleaning)

Well, if you have read any of my blog, you will know that I am a big local, organic food person. I already eat way less meat than I used to and I am working on finding local, humanely farmed meat for my heavy meat eaters. We eat only sustainable seafood even when we are at a restaurant. Chapter 6 did not really have anything new to me. I did like the "organic purchase priorities" on page 168. I use my own cloth bags for shopping (all shopping) and I even have mesh produce bags for those strange occasional when I purchase produce at a grocery store. If I forget my cloth bags, I just carry whatever I bought (I usually have Son and Daughter with me - that makes 6 armloads!).

Chapter 7 is about cleaning stuff. I adore the book Clean and Green by Annie Bond. I refer to it regularly when we have something out of the ordinary to clean up. I keep the following cleansers in the house: vinegar, baking soda, borax, washing soda, lavender essential oil, and tea tree essential oil. I do use some commercial cleansers too. The company Ecover provides my concentrated laundry liquid, detergent for the automatic dishwasher, dishwashing soap, toilet bowl cleaner, and a soft scrub cleanser. I have a carpet cleaner, but use it pretty much all the time with plain warm water. Occasionally we have cat urine to clean up and I do use an enzyme to deal with that.

What about cleaning tools? We have a squeegee for cleaning mirrors, windows, and the shower walls. We have a large array of cloths for cleaning including those designated for greasy or otherwise dirty jobs. We have a dust mop for the wood and cork floors which has a removable and washable head. Our string mop head can be thrown in the washing machine as well.

We have a sepetic system and don't put anything down the toilet but the usual and small amounts of TP (recycled of course - Seventh Generation). When it needs help though, we have an array of plungers, plumbers snakes, and baking soda, vinegar, and boiling water to help keep it clean.

The only thing I can think of do to improve my green cleaning is to get a smaller house (more on that later)!

No comments: