Friday, November 21, 2008

Big Green Purse - Chapter 4 (Cars)

Chapter 4 of Big Green Purse is about vehicles. Cars more specifically since we live in the US. So in April we bought a Toyota Prius. We replaced a 1995 Nissan Maxima which we purchased used from friends when we returned to the DC area in 1999. We also have our 2002 Volkswagon Jetta wagon. We would actually like to have 1.5 cars but there is no Zipcar service here in Southern Maryland. Whoever is expecting to drive farther on a given day takes the Prius. Usually I drive the Jetta which works out because the mess kids make is less of a worry and the Jetta is a manual transmission. I enjoy driving my stick shift cars. The Prius makes me feel like I am ll.iving my principles but it's automatic transmission makes it less fun for me to drive. We have these cars but choose to drive them as little as possible. There are lots of reasons why, but I'd rather describe how.

During late spring, summer, and early fall, we spend a lot of time riding our bikes places. We live about 5 miles from town with services. For us, that means post office, library, thrift store, park, bakery, and occasional forays to Target and Safeway (for bananas and avocados). We have a trailer bike so our 5 year old can pedal and be attached to an adult's bike for safety. Our 10 year old has been riding (guided) on the road on his own bike for 2 years. We started out slow and easy with sunday morning road rides with long time cyclist Dad and worked up to daytime ride with less experienced Mom.
Right now, we are pretty dependent on our car to get us places because of the cold weather. We are just not equipped to bundle everyone up for a bike ride in 30 degree F weather.

In every season, we combine errands so that we really don't go out for less than 2 things in a given direction. We go to Waldorf once a week and LaPlata several times. When it stays light out late enough, we can ride to & from scout meetings even! We make lists so we don't forget something that can not wait another week if we forget about it. We determine a path for the errands to minimize backtracking and total driving distance. We are very conscious to minimize our car use.

We also have car-free days every week. These lovely days have no big interruptions so we can in principle get things done that require more time. The day just flows along without external pressure. I like them. Those are my baking days usually. I can bake bread, cookies, soups, and other yummies because I have more time at home.

I picked up a cute little book at the DC Green Festival entitled Cutting Your Car Use. I am searching for ways to do just that. We have already done so much that we are down to carpooling for hubby (he's been trying to arrange that) and moving. Both are appealing right now, but I don't have much control over either option. I am still working on the whole less car driving thing. Maybe I'll have inspiration in my dreams tonight. Good night!

No comments: