Friday, October 10, 2008

Picture of Unschooling

This post is for my friend Christine. What do my kids do all day when we are unschoolers? Here's what we are doing:

7:20 am Daughter wakes up and eats breakfast
7:40 am Son wakes up
7:41 am Son and Daughter argue, have energizing time, then go get dressed
7:50 am Daughter plays little cars in her room
7:50 am Son reads one of the 5 Ripley's Believe it or Not books we got from the library yesterday
8:00 am Daughter and I play a backgammon game
8:20 am Daughter and I clean up her work table and assemble books and containers for her new project box on China
9:00 am Daughter takes out recycling with me
9:00 am Son asks me for help assembling this lego robot/transformer toy that a friend asked us to repair after her two year old whirlwind destructed it
9:30 am Son eats more breakfast
10:30 am Son watches Inside Edition on tv
10:30 am Daughter makes up math problems for me, 25+5+25+5=?, 100+36=?, 100-69=?, 6-10=?, 6-10=?, 11+80=?, for Son 51+22=?, 60+70=?. Daughter is making up the problems, using the hundred board to mark off the numbers in the problem, writing down the sign for the math function (+, -, etc), then writing the number which is the answer.
10:55 am Son and Daughter argue, screech, and move on
11:00 am S sets up the VCR and tapes the Price is Right
11:05 am S and D have snack, change clothes, and grab snacks/water to take with them
11:30 am sit in car while it takes S and D to Waldorf
12:00-1:33 pm Open Gym at Unique Sports Academy
1:30 pm sit in car and snack
2:00 pm watch the tapes Price is Right while waiting for LEGO Robotics team to appear
2:15 pm S and D have ice cream while I tell Son no one is coming for robotics today
2:25 pm S plays video games while I try and convince him to do robotics with his new teammate - me!
3:30 pm Son and I are trying to fix the laser aiming light on his nerf gun, Daughter is being alone
4:00 pm Son puts the gun back together
5:00 pm Daughter types names on the computer, augmenting with pictures from clipart
5:30 pm Daughter check outside weather and determines that it is very warm. She is thinking of something to do outside
5:40 pm Son is upstairs reading, Daughter is getting her nerf guns ready for going outside

2 comments:

Ronda said...

I never tire of reading other unschoolers accounting of their days. It always makes me smile.

Wow, Zoa, I love the way this blog has grown, gosh I wish we were closer.

You are part of my tribe. Distance is a relative state.

Keep dancing.

Walt said...

From H (husband)

It's amazing how quickly they pick up addition when playing two-or-more-dice games.

D's also starting to do relative counting, after I pointed out the backgammon board is split into sections of 6 points - now she doesn't count 6, she just moves to the analagous point.