Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hanging out with Unschoolers

A few days ago we went and hung out at the National Colonial Farm with some other unschoolers (Jane and Bethani). It was a fabulous time - just like last time we were with Jane at Fort Washington. Every other week or so we get together someplace with lots of space and interesting things to do, play, wander around the place, talk, and just be. We call these days Unschooler Hangouts.

This time, my friend Jane tells me "Around other unschoolers, I'm radical. I had no idea I was so left!". I have only known her since January, but she always seemed pretty radical to me. That is one reason why we connected so well. She sees the beauty and shine in my children that few others seem to see. Jane is A OK in my book to be as left as she wants!

The girls had a great time together - even after there was chasing, tripping, both girls falling to the dusty road, and making up. Here they are just after saying goodbye to the pig.



We were in awe of each other at the end of the day. I was totally impressed with her calm state and way of handling when her son Nik was just not there when she turned around. He had gone to see the pigs, had not heard that we were changing plans to see the horses, and so we proceeded unknowingly without him. She did not worry about his location, only how she would reconnect with him. When they did find each other, he was sad to have realized he was alone. She did not berate him, or chide him for being in a different place from everyone else. Later she told me story of how she came to know when Nik just needed his own space. Fantastic!

She was impressed with my ability to help Son work through his hunger, need for a snack, desire to go home before his sister was ready. I tend to do better in front of an audience :-) Jane's son Christopher helped Son as well. For him it was as easy as walking up to him and walking away talking with him.

All in all, we decided it was way more fun to hang out with other radical unschoolers that others. We don't feel judged, or like some parent is waiting for us to reign in our kids when they are just doing what makes them happy. Did we stop the kids from throwing stuff at the turkeys? You bet. Did we let the kids throw rocks into the river from the shore? You bet. Did we all have a fabulous time? You bet. Even though it was her first time with us ever - Bethani agrees!

1 comment:

Bethani said...

Yes it was a wonderful time. I find most parents don't have the respect for their children's needs. I see all the time people accusing the child of being misbehaved when they are simply curiouse. In aww and wonder of this big huge world. Wanting to see and feel everything. They have never seen the things adults take for granted. So why do people try to yell and control a child from simply trying to figure everything out. I know I learn best when I "do" things for myself so I let my child "do" her exploring. It just makes sense.