Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A New Garden Bed

You saw the cool new trellis we made to shade our AC fans in the last post? Now there is a sheet mulched area all around it to make a new garden bed!


I thought about this new garden bed. I was worried about the soil washing right down onto the walkway. I thought about water retention in this bed. Since the best place to store water or plants is in the soil, I decided to build a short retaining wall. I used the leftover blocks from the walkway to make this short wall. Now it holds both soil and water in the garden bed instead of dumping where we walk.


Under the bricks for the wall, I laid that good ole newspaper to smother the weeds and stuck it under the blocks to anchor the paper. On top of the newspaper (in overlapping sections about 10-20 sheets thick), I put an entire truckload of manure from the farm where our neighbor's horse resides. On top of that, I put triple ground mulch (no more free from County!). Look how tall it is now!

No comments: