Sunday, January 4, 2009

Local Food For New Friends

Last night we acted as couchsurfing hosts for the first time. It was really fun. We hosted a family of four traveling from Florida to their home in Ottawa, Canada. They stayed just one night, but we all enjoyed each others' company - adults and kids alike. They were due to arrive after dinner, but we wanted to have a nice local dish for them to enjoy when they arrived. So we made our local dinner for us and then made dessert to share with our guests.

Dinner was pasta (not local), homemade tomato sauce which I canned from our 15 mile tomatoes and herbs, and separate local (10 mile) pork sausage. Simple but yummy. Dessert was homemade pies. The crust was made from butter (25 mile), home ground wheat, and salt. The pie filling was butternut squash (15 mile), local milk (15 mile), local eggs (5 mile), and spices from lots of places.

Being away for the holidays was really difficult on the local food front. We were guests in my mother-in-law's home and she really enjoys entertaining. That includes cooking for us - in her own style. So I had nothing to really post for my Dark Days Challenge ...

3 comments:

Ronda said...

How cool that you guys did the coughsurfing thing. I am impressed.

Zoa, I would like you to share the advantages of grinding your own wheat. I don't know a thing about it and I am so curious...what is the cost savings, how hard is it...ect. Perhaps if you did a blog entry, others could benefit also.

We bake our own bread, but I buy the organic flour and it is getting quite expensive.

Thanks and Happy New year to all of you.

Gretchen said...

I've never heard of this before. I'm very interested in it. Am wondering if you can specify that you will only take families? Any insight would be wonderful. Glad I found your blog..I'm in northern MD.

ZZZ said...

Gretchen, couchsurfing does have a family subgroup for traveling families. As a couchsurfer, can accept or decline whoever you want to stay with you. In your profile you will state the requirements for folks to stay with you. We couchsurfed again in DE this time and it worked our great. Good luck!